Fingerprint Analysis Lab ActivityFingerprint Analysis Lab Activity
A fun and educational introduction to criminalistics.Your students will answer the question “Whodunit?” while learning how to dust and develop latent fingerprints. They “lift” sets of prints from various surfaces, turning them over for others to analyze.
• Grades 7-14• Multiple methods for detecting latent prints
Forensic Analysis of Glass KitForensic Analysis of Glass Kit
Can broken glass crack the case?
This lab demonstrates how intrinsic properties of glass can be used to distinguish common types of glass.
• NGSS Physical Science DCIs PS1, PS3• Pre and post-laboratory assessments• Links to real world concepts• Estimated class/lab time required: 160 minutes over 2-4 days
Hair and Fiber Analysis Lab ActivityHair and Fiber Analysis Lab Activity
How Do Hair and Fiber Differ?In this lab activity, students will learn how to determine the species of origin from a hair sample, differentiate between natural and synthetic fibers, and perform tests to identify the specific type of fiber.
• NGSS Life Science DCI LS1.• Pre- and post-laboratory assessments• Links to a real world scenario• Estimated class/lab time required: 135 minutes
Inert Display CartridgesInert Display Cartridges
Use to Safely Demonstrate Bullet Types, Or to Stage a Crime SceneEach one of these unused cartridges has been drilled through both sides and the primer has been drilled out to ensure the cartridges are physically inert and could never be made active. Additionally, the holes through the side make them visually recognizable as inert.
Lightning® Gel TapeLightning® Gel Tape
Ideal for Use on Textured SurfacesFeaturing a thick, pliable padding that is over 20 times as thick as standard lifting tapes, this fingerprint tape is ideal for lifting details from uneven and textured surfaces.
• Apply the tape initially as you would normal lifting tape, but expect extraordinarily detailed prints.
Master Forensics KitMaster Forensics Kit
Enough materials for an entire unit on crime scene investigation.Apply the disciplines of biology, chemistry, and physics with the materials and procedures introduced in this activity. Several techniques used in forensics are covered and include the analysis of fingerprints, soil, hair, documents, and drugs and poisoning.
• Grades 7-14• Combination of 5 kits