Whether you are dealing with the wave properties of electromagnetic waves (including light), sound or other types of waves, their behaviour is analogous to the behaviour of waves on a water surface.Water waves have the advantage of being visible and moving so slowly that students can observe the wave phenomena directly.By taking advantage of the optical properties of water waves, they can be enlarged and made visible on a screen.
The Ripple tank provides a dramatic demonstration of the general properties of waves and propagation phenomena.
1) Reflection and refraction. By using the linear dipper bar plane parallel waves can be produced.
Reflection and refraction of waves can be demonstrated by using appropriate barriers in the water tank.
2) Interference occurs when two point source dippers generate circular waves.
The distance between the sources and their frequency can be regulated.
3) The famous double slit experiment: When a plane wave encounters a barrier with two holes, these act like two point source dippers, giving rise to the same interference pattern.
4) The transparent lens cross section is covered by only a shallow layer of water. This decreases the propagation velocity corresponding to an increased index of refraction. The ripple tank is shown with the mirror and projection screen in place. By removing these, the wavepattern is projected onto the table top and can be traced on a sheet of paper.
The complete ripple tank comprises the following individual parts:
1) Stroboscope unit (2211.01)
2) Power Supply (Eur: 3550.50/UK: 3550.52)
3) Traverse and rods (2) f. strobe (2210.62)
4) Legs (3) and plate holder (2210,1013)
5) Ripple Tank (2210.33)
6) Mirror (2210,1011)
7) Projection screen (2210,5093)
8) Vibration Generator (2185.00)
9) Holder for lever arm (2185.05)
10) Lever Arm w. pivot (2210.32)
11) Rod with cross foot (2185.06)
12) Height adjust unit (2185.07)
13) Cable for vibrator (1100.75)
14) Remote control f. single pulses (1100.80)
15) Acrylic block, convex (2210.29)
16) Acrylic block, concave (2210.28)
17) Acrylic block, prism (2210.30)
18) Dipper for parallel waves (2210.25)
19) Pipette flask w. detergent (2210,3190)
20) Accessories in box (2210,0016)
Single dipper (2210.22)
Double dipper (2210.23)
Barriers, long (2) (2210.26)
Barrier, short (2210.27)
Single dipper tips (5) (2210,2202)
Spare pipette (0561.15)
The ripple tank set is supplied in a fibre box segmented for storing the components and with complete user instructions.