Murder at Old Fields Kit
A breakthrough forensic science lab activity based on the actual details of a double murder that took place on the Smith Farm in Old Fields, NY in 1842.
This is the most engaging way for middle and high school students to meet federal and state science standards, particularly the standards regarding of Evidence-Based Inquiry.
• Hair Analysis• Blood Typing• Fingerprint Analysis• DNA• Shoe Impressions• Pathology• Blood Spatter
Murder at Old Fields is unique in that it features both a real-world kit, for hands-on activities in the lab, and a virtual experience, where students can tour the virtual crime scene online, find a evidence and analyze this evidence in the online lab.
The real-world kit and the virtual lab activity combine to make a powerful and flexible “blended” activity featuring the best of both school lab activities and online activities. The kit and the virtual activity can be used in combination or as separate stand-alone activities.
Developed in collaboration with Bullfrog Communications, Murder At Old Fields is the most realistic, interactive forensic investigation available.
The Real World Kit comes in a sturdy plastic lock-able case on wheels and includes enough materials for an entire class, as well as a comprehensive Teacher’s Guide and a Student Copymaster. Available refill kits make it easy and affordable to use the kit again from class to class.
1. Refill Kit A includes the items that will be needed to be replaced for each new class investigation (such as the crime scene evidence)
2. Refill Kit B includes the items that will be needed for long term maintenance of the kit (such as microscope slides)
Note: If when ordering the real world kit from the links below, if you see a message that reads “Temporarily Out of Stock” you can still order the kit, but there may be a short delay in the fulfillment or the order.
The Online Virtual Lab Activity
With a subscription, the online virtual version is accessed via a conventional browser such as Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. (No download required.) It is perfectly compatible with Chromebooks, iPads and other mobile tablets as well as desktop computers. The online subscription version includes:
• Lessons that explore forensic science according to National Science Education Standards.
• Auto-graded quizzes that easily and quickly gauge a student’s mastery of the science lessons.
• Online 3D virtual crime scene of a historically-accurate rural American 19th Century farmhouse.
• Online virtual lab where the evidence is analyzed and the data recorded
• Easy-to-use online accounts where students can assess their results and teachers monitor student performance.
• Lesson Plan function to allow teachers to enable some or all of the online labs based on class schedule and curriculum needs
Ordering information: Refill Kit A includes Anti-Serum Set, Dental Casting Kit, BioFoam, Drip & Projected Blood, Fingerprint Lifting Tape, Simulated Blood Set, and Dropper Pipets. Refill Kit B includes Fingerprint Ink Strips, Clear Nail Polish, Vinyl Gloves, Microslides, Black Ink Pad, Black and Red Permanent Markers, Fingerprint Cards, Paper Masking Tape, Index Cards, Alcohol Prep Pads, Black Fingerprint Powder, Hair Samples, and Toothpicks.
If you see messaging below that says “Temporarily Out of Stock” you can still order the kit – it just may cause a brief delay in the fulfillment of the order.Online subscription orders must include the end user teacher’s name, email address, and school name.
Note: Online subscription orders must include the end user teacher’s name, email address, and school name. View more about the online version here: https://murderatoldfields.com
Note: These versions of the MaOF (Murder at Old Fields) accounts are single use accounts, in that they do not expire. However, single use accounts cannot be re-used with a new class of students in a new semester, they can only be used one time by one student. Students can do the work in the classroom or at home, or basically anywhere they have a connection to the Internet so that they can log into their account.